2023 UOL Essay Contest Topics
Pre-K and Kindergarten: Draw a picture of the ocean and some things that God made that are in the ocean.
Grades 1 and 2: Draw a picture of you praying to God and then write 2 to 3 sentences on some things for which you pray.
Grades 3 and 4: Write 50 – 100 words on how we should prepare for confession in order to receive forgiveness or absolution from our sins.
Grades 5 and 6: During morning prayers we ask God, “Create in me a clean heart, Oh God, and renew in me a spirit of truth.” Write 100 to 150 words on what this means to you and why it is important to begin our day saying this prayer.
Grades 7 and 8: Write 150 to 200 words on the following topic. Through the Bible, God tells how He wants us to live, and the choices He wants us to make. Choose a Bible story that clearly illustrates this to you and tell why you chose that particular story.
Grades 9 and 10: Write 200 to 250 words on the following topic. Making the choices that Christ wants us to make can be hard sometimes. Tell of a time your faith in Christ showed you the correct path and lit the way to make a tough decision easier.
Grades 11 and 12: Please write 250 to 500 words explaining the following. At the end of evening prayers we say “My hope is the Father, my refuge is the Son, and my shelter is the Holy Spirit. Holy Trinity, glory to Thee.”
Adults 18 and over: Write 500 or more words explaining the following. Psalm 51 talks about making sacrifices to God. “For Thou hast no delight in sacrifice, were I to give a burnt offering, Thou wouldst not be pleased. The sacrifice acceptable to God is a broken spirit, a broken and contrite heart.”
This year’s contest deadline is April 29th so get started!
CLICK HERE TO DOWN LOAD ESSAY TOPICS
CONTEST RULES & GUIDELINES
- Entries must be postmarked by April 29, 2023.
- NO NAMES ON THE FRONT OF ANY ENTRY.
- All entries must include the following information: (PLEASE USE THE COVER PAGE SUPPLIED)
- Participant’s first and last name
- Age and grade in school
- The name and address of participant’s parish, including city and state
- Drawings must be no larger than 12 x 18 and NO names on the front of drawing. Please attach a COVER PAGE or use the BACK of the drawing for the information listed above. All drawings MUST be mailed.
- Written entries must be on 8 ½” x 11” paper. Include a cover page with the identifying information listed above. Entries for 9th grade and above must be typed or printed.
- Emailed entries must be scanned in and emailed, DO NOT TAKE PHOTOS OF ENTRIES AND SEND THEM, THEY ARE DIFFICULT TO READ AND WILL NOT BE JUDGED. Emailed entries must be time stamped no later than 11:59 PM of the deadline date.
Entries may be submitted in English or Ukrainian.
ALL ENTRIES WILL BE JUDGED FOR CONTENT, CREATIVITY AND NEATNESS.
Please send entries to
Teresa Linck: 413 Juniper Lane, Cheshire, CT 06410
Teresa Linck at: email@example.com